2 Jul 2013

Gil Ventura - Give Me The Night

Here's the story of one song across three people, the song - Give Me The Night, the year - 1980. Originally written by Rod Temperton as an synthy jazz affair, the song found its way into the hands of two others who did something with it the same year. George Benson began his meteoric rise with help from none other than producer extraordinaire Quincy Jones turning the song on its head and releasing the disco beast within, helping Benson taste success in the American charts. The last character in the story and perhaps the one most forgotten is Gil Ventura who also released his version of the song that same year, the struggle of tyring to find this song anywhere on the internet proves that unfortunately time was never on the side of Ventura's version. Only yesterday did I learn of it as I was ripping some of my vinyls when a song off a record that had otherwise been unplayed since I brought it back from a South American adventure some 4 years ago took my notice. Over and over again I played it, couldn't get enough of the sax, the song was made for it. If you're expecting a moral from this story I don't have one to offer, except perhaps something I knew all along, that one song, one concept is infinite, leaving an intangible trace across time and space touching generations whether we acknowledge it or not.

Gil Ventura - Give Me The Night by monsieurpanadero